Everyone at PURINA® is actively committed to making a positive difference to the lives of pets and the people who love them. But we also believe we can only do that by living up to our responsibilities to society as a whole.
As part of Nestlé, the world's leading nutrition, health and wellness company, we adhere to the Nestlé Corporate Business Principles. These require us to act with honesty, integrity and respect for laws, regulations and corporate guidelines. This is what we refer to as compliance. Compliance is the foundation of how we do business and a non-negotiable requirement for everything we do.
We aim to delight consumers with tasty, nutritionally balanced food for their pets, while offering products which are sourced in a responsible way and that preserve the environment for future generations.
Protecting the environment
Taking action to protect the environment (often referred to as sustainability) is central to everything we do at PURINA. We are continually seeking out new ways to minimise our environmental impacts whilst still delivering the quality of product that delights you, the consumer.
We have already made significant progress in saving water, in reducing our use of energy, in minimising the amount of waste we send to landfill, and in finding new ways to package and transport our products more efficiently.
Some of our key sustainability achievements have included:
- Reducing the amount of water used per ton of finished product by 19% between 2005 and 2011 at our Aintree, Sudbury and Wisbech production sites.
- Reducing energy consumption at our Aintree, Wisbech and Sudbury factories per ton of product by 14% between 2004 and 2011
- Converting all waste at our Aintree and Wisbech sites that cannot be recycled into energy
- Reducing the distance our products have to travel by 133,000 kms per year as a result of investing in an expansion of the manufacturing facilities at our Sudbury plant; furthermore, by bringing a co-packing operation for WINALOT® cans of dog food in-house, we reduced the distance travelled by a further 100,000 kms, saving 103 tons of CO2
- Investing in new packaging equipment that enabled us to redesign the cardboard packaging for FELIX® and GOURMET® multipack boxes, saving 150 tons of packaging materials
- Reducing GO-CAT® packaging by 10% across the range in 2010, thereby saving over 195 tons of packaging materials compared to the previous year
- Launching ‘Together We Can’ in June 2011, an initiative designed to encourage WINALOT and FELIX customers to recycle the cans; our recycling website at www.purina.co.uk/wecan allowed customers to make a recycling pledge in return for which we donated £30,000 to our PURINA charity partners Cats Protection, Canine Partners and the Dublin SPCA. The Together We Can initiative is running again in 2012.
Creating Shared Value
In line with our colleagues throughout Nestlé, we want to go beyond complying with national laws and international regulations. We want to go beyond acting in a sustainable way. We want to be Creating Shared Value (CSV). CSV builds on a strong base of performance in environmental sustainability and compliance.
That means identifying those areas where we can use our strengths and expertise to benefit not just our business but society as a whole, working closely with other interested stakeholders to achieve the maximum effect. For us in PURINA, the key areas in which we believe we can have the greatest impact are pet nutrition and pet welfare. As the projects we are currently working on start to bear fruit, we will be sharing the results with you. So please do return to this page in the future.
Creating Shared Value also means taking a long-term view; a long-term view of what is in the best interests of our business, our employees, our consumers and their pets, our business partners, the communities in which we operate and, ultimately, everyone beyond that.
At PURINA, we take our responsibilities seriously.