The Italian Spinone is generally a robust breed but they can be prone to:
- Hip dysplasia
- Gastric dilatation volvulus
- Cerebellar ataxia which is a disease where the brain is not functioning properly and this can affect gait.
- Hypothyroidism¹ where the thyroid gland is underactive and does not product enough thyroid hormone. This can result in low energy levels, weight gain and skin problems.
- Epilepsy¹ which is a condition where abnormal brain function can lead to seizures which damage the brain.
- Ear and skin infections¹
Priority Kennel Club health schemes and testing:
- Hip dysplasia screening scheme
- DNA testing for cerebellar ataxia which tests whether or not a dog has the potential to be affected by this condition.
¹C. Hill, 'Primary epilepsy in the Italian spinone', Sept 2006, Vet Record