- Keep reading to find out if daffodils are poisonous to dogs and what signs to look out for if you suspect your pet has been in close contact with this flower.
- How to identify daffodils?
- Are daffodils poisonous to dogs?
- Are daffodil bulbs poisonous to dogs?
- Signs of daffodil poisoning in dogs
- What to do if your dog has eaten daffodil flowers?
- How to keep dogs away from daffodils?
Spring knows how to make an entrance. Blue skies, green gardens, colourful flowers and longer days entice all of us, owners and dogs, out of the house. But all this fun outdoor exploration might make owners nervous about the potential risks that spring plants pose to dogs. In this article, we’re exploring the springtime favourites: the breathtaking daffodils.
Keep reading to find out if daffodils are poisonous to dogs and what signs to look out for if you suspect your pet has been in close contact with this flower.
How to identify daffodils?
You’ll have no trouble identifying these lovely flowers. Daffodils are trumpet-shaped flowers, with usually white or yellow petals, that come with an orange central corona. The leaves are long and flat. You will see these bright flowers in full bloom between March and late April, so pay particular attention on your dog walks during that time of year.
Are daffodils poisonous to dogs?
Yes, daffodils are poisonous to dogs and you should keep them away from your pet. These plants contain a toxic component called lycorine which can cause digestive upset when ingested. There are other substances in a daffodil flower that might also cause irritation to the skin and to the mouth and throat if ingested. So, the best thing is for your dog to avoid close contact with this flower.
If you suspect your dog had ingested daffodils, contact the vet immediately.
Are daffodil bulbs poisonous to dogs?
Daffodils are not dangerous to dogs only when they’re in full bloom. The bulbs also contain the substance lycorine which is the toxic component leading to health problems when ingested. In fact, the daffodil bulbs have a higher concentration of this compound than the flower itself, so if your dog is a relentless digger, keep this in mind.
Signs of daffodil poisoning in dogs
If you suspect your dog has consumed parts of daffodil flowers, keep a close eye on them for the next few hours and don’t hesitate to contact the vet. Here are some of the symptoms you might notice:
What to do if your dog has eaten daffodil flowers?
The first thing to do is remove any flowers from your dog’s mouth and call the vet immediately. Sometimes the vet might advise a simple solution such as giving your dog a bowl of milk or water. But in more severe situations, you will be asked to bring the dog to the vet immediately. This is why it’s important to avoid administering any treatment at home without consulting the vet. Call them for advice as soon as possible
Don’t forget to take a picture of the plant your dog has eaten and show it to the vet. This will help them identify the toxic component that might be in the pet’s system and recommend the best treatment. Even better yet, take a few samples and bring them to your vet so they can determine the level of risk they pose for the dog.
How to keep dogs away from daffodils?
It might seem impossible to eliminate any interaction your dog may have with these spring flowers considering they are such popular additions to people’s gardens and in parks. But here are a few things you can do to prevent daffodil poisoning affecting your dog:
Keep the dog in sight at all times during their walk, so you can pay attention to the plants they’re interacting with.
Train your dog so they have a good response to the ‘leave it’ command. Check out our basic dog training article for step-by-step instructions.
A leash can be helpful in keeping an overly excited dog away from toxic plants such as daffodils. Here is how to teach your puppy to walk on a lead.
If you have daffodils in your garden, consider replacing them or installing a fence around them so they’re out of reach for your dog
If you have daffodils in your home, move the vase to a higher shelf so the dog doesn’t have access to them
Now that you know daffodils are poisonous to dogs, you might be wondering what other plants can pose a risk to our pets’ wellbeing. Check out our list of harmful substances and plants for dogs, next.