Your Pet, Our Passion.
are lilies poisonous to dogs

Are Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

2 min read

Our dogs love to eat but sometimes, they’ll have a munch on things they’re not supposed to. As some of you know, lilies (although pretty) can be dangerous for cats but is it the same for dogs? Though rarely lethal, they can be highly toxic to your pooches. Find out the answer to ‘are lilies poisonous to dogs?’ and remember to always call your vet first. 

Are lilies poisonous to dogs? 

There are a variety of different types of lilies – some of these are highly toxic and some are not so much. We say it’s not worth the risk in your home or garden and we do suggest steering clear of them altogether to make sure your dog is always safe. Always check with your vet in case of any issues with lilies. 

Which lilies are poisonous to dogs? 

As we mentioned, there are a few types that are poisonous to dogs. It’s important to call your vet if you think your dog has ingested any of these. Here is the breakdown: 

Severely poisonous lilies to dogs: 

  • Prairie Lily or Rain Lily – the bulbs for this are especially poisonous to dogs and can cause up to severe gastrointestinal upset. 

  • Lily of the Valley – If any of the plant is ingested, vomiting, diarrhoea, slowed heart rare, seizures, heart arrhythmias and even death are a possible result because of the gastrointestinal irritants. 

Highly poisonous lilies to dogs: 

  • Peace Lily – If absorbed into the skin tissue, the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals can cause gastrointestinal irritation. It can lead to burning of the mouth, vomiting, drooling and difficulty swallowing. 

  • Calla Lily – containing the same ingredient, this lily is will also cause mouth irritation, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, decreased appetite and excessive drooling 

Non- toxic lilies to dogs: 

  • Peruvian lily 

  • Tiger lily 

  • Daylily 

  • Easter lily 

Though the plants above are labelled as non-toxic, they can definitely still cause stomach upsets. We suggest avoiding them altogether.  

Why are lilies poisonous to dogs? 

Of course, we want out pooches to have the perfect balanced dog diet, but sometimes their curious nature gets the better of them. The reason lilies don’t add to this, and are actually poisonous, is down to the type of lily. A lot contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals or cardio glycosides which are highly toxic to dogs and will lead to irritation. 

Signs of lily poisoning in dogs 

Now we’ve answered ‘are lilies poisonous to dogs’, next is time to identify the signs of potential lily poisoning in your dogs. Of course, contact your vet first but here are some signs to look out for: 

  • Vomiting 

  • Decreased appetite 

  • Diarrhoea 

  • Excessive drooling 

  • Pawing at the face due to oral irritation (limited to calla lilies and peace lilies) 

  • Heart problems are possible with ingestion of lily of the valley 

Treatment for signs of lily poisoning in dogs 

Treatment for dogs who have ingested lilies depends on their signs, the type of lily, and how long ago it was ingested. Call your vet as soon as you’re aware of the situation. 

Note: for lily of the valley, hospitalisation for a day or two could be likely. 

If you can get to a vet quickly, they will administer apomorphine (induced vomiting) or hydrogen peroxide. 

If you’re unable to get to a vet quickly but it’s within an hour of ingestion, call your vet and they may get you to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide to remove irritants and induce vomiting. Your vet will tell you the safe amount to administer. 

If you get to a vet over an hour since ingestion, your vet could give your dog activated charcoal to absorb and remove the toxins. Blood work might be done to check for organ toxicity. 

If it has been over an hour since ingestion, a veterinarian may administer activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins and remove them from the body. Blood work will likely need to be evaluated to watch for any organ toxicity. An IV could be given to dilute the poison. You could be given medication to administer to your dog protect the organs and GI tract.  

Ways to keep dogs away from poisonous plants 

Our top tip is to not have lilies in your home or garden. In the event that they find themselves in your house, we suggest to do the following: 

  • Keep them far out of reach from your dog 

  • Place on sturdy surfaces 

  • Pick up any fallen leaves, petals or pollen 

  • Possibly crate your dog when you’re not home 


Now that you know certain plants, such as lilies, are toxic, why not learn which foods are harmful to dogs