- Dog suitable for owners with some experience
- Extra training required
- Need to be aware of potential health issues
- Enjoys active walks
- Enjoys one to two hours of walking a day
- Small dog
- Some drool
- Requires grooming every other day
- Chatty and vocal dog
- Barks and alerts to visitors/anything unusual
- Could have issues with unknown dogs but gets along with known dogs
- May need additional training to live with other pets
- May need additional supervision to live with children
- Needs a small garden
- Can happily live in the city
- Can be left occasionally with training
The Cesky Terrier breed can suffer from:
- Patellar luxation
Priority Kennel Club health schemes and testing:
None but there are several recommended schemes that the Kennel Club recommends which can be found here.
|Height:||29cm for males and 27cm for females|
|Colours:||Grey-blue or a light brown, yellow and grey markings may be seen|
|UK Kennel Club Groups:||Terrier|
|Easy to train:||4/5|
|Tolerates being alone:||3/5|
|Likes other pets:||2/5|
The Cesky Terrier is a dog with a gentle, affable nature towards familiar people and family. They can be a little reserved with strangers but thorough dog socialisation and sensible introductions mean this need not be a problem. The working instinct of the Cesky Terrier is still keen, meaning early training to ignore certain animals, particularly cats if you have them is important. Ceskys can get along with animals they grow up with, though it would be a mistake to expect them to tolerate or be safe with pet rodents or rabbits!
Did You Know?
- Cesky Terriers are born black, and the true colour of any Cesky Terrier isn’t known until they are adult, at around 2 years old. Before then the coat will fade and may show up brindling or striping as it progresses from black to its final shade of grey. Whilst Ceskys can come in light brown, this is rarely seen. Brown Ceskys will have pink, flesh coloured skin so they can be told early on, but greys will have blue-black skin and the eventual shade they fade to cannot be predicted.