The Rhodesian Ridgeback is predisposed to:
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Gastric dilatation volvulus
- Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy occurs in young dogs and is a specific form of epilepsy- a condition where abnormal brain function can lead to seizures which damage the brain.
- Hypothyroidism¹ where the thyroid gland is underactive and does not product enough thyroid hormone. This can result in low energy levels, weight gain and skin problems.
- Dermoid sinus which is a condition where the skin is either attached to the spinal cord or the tissue overlying it.
Priority Kennel Club health schemes and testing:
- Hip dysplasia screening scheme
¹L. J. Kennedy, 'Association of canine hypothyroidism with a common major histocompatibility complex DLA class II allele', 2006, Tissue Antigens