Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Your Pet, Our Passion.
A bowl of beans

Can Dogs Eat Green Beans?

3 min read

It may surprise you to learn that dogs are omnivores, meaning that they can eat foods of both plant and animal origin. There’s a huge variety of veggies that dogs can snack on in moderation that are relatively low-calorie, including peas, sweet potato and carrots to name a few! But can dogs eat green beans?

Keep reading to find out if your dog can munch on these crunchy vegetables and why the ‘green bean diet’ you may have heard of may not be such a good idea.

Can dogs eat green beans?

Yes, dogs can eat green beans including canned, steamed, boiled, roasted and dehydrated types, and dogs can even eat raw green beans too! Most canines will really like the taste of them as they’re crunchy with an almost sweet flavour.

Are green beans good for dogs?

Green beans can make a healthy treat for dogs, providing they’re plain, as they’re very low in calories. They also contain nutrients such as protein, iron, calcium and vitamins A, C and K, and are packed full of fibre.

However, it’s worth bearing in mind that these are all things your dog will get from their complete and balanced diet anyway, and so we only recommend giving green beans in small amounts, as they’ll be unlikely to produce any additional benefits for your pup.

There are also some occasions where green beans aren’t so good for dogs. For example, some canned varieties have added salt and so should be avoided, as this can be bad for your pup’s health. You should only ever feed plain vegetables to dogs, not those cooked with oils and spices, and also skip any harmful additions like garlic and onions as these are toxic for dogs. Finally, large whole green beans can also pose a choking hazard, so always make sure you cut them into bite-sized pieces before feeding them to your dog.

What about the green bean diet for dogs?

The green bean diet is a fad designed to try and help dogs lose weight quickly. It works by swapping 10% of your dog’s diet for green beans, gradually increasing up to 50% to provide rapid weight loss for overweight dogs. We recommend avoiding this diet, as it can actually be detrimental to your dog’s health because, although plain green beans are okay in small amounts, the majority of your dog’s diet should contribute to their overall nutritional needs. As mentioned previously, green beans do contain vitamins and minerals, but they don’t have everything a dog needs to thrive, so feeding green beans instead of their normal diet could result in nutritional deficiencies. To avoid this, it’s best to make sure that most of your dog’s diet is made up of a high-quality dog food, as this will contain everything your pup needs to stay fit and healthy.

If your dog’s overweight, and you’re struggling to get them to shift the pounds, speak to your vet. They’ll be able to develop a tailored weight loss program based on your dog’s unique nutritional needs and health requirements.

How should I feed my dog green beans?

Only ever feed plain green beans to your dog. Firstly, prepare the beans by trimming off the stringy ends, then cut them into bite-sized portions that suit your dog’s size. Start slowly by offering them a small amount, then keep a close eye on them to see how they react. It’s also worth being aware that, although dogs can have green beans safely in small amounts, they may not necessarily like the taste, so let them sniff first to see if they want to taste.

Remember to always follow the rule of 10% when feeding your dog treats and ensure that the other 90% of their calories comes from a complete and balanced diet.

Now you know that dogs can eat green beans! Want to find out more about foods your dog can eat? Learn if dogs can eat tomatoes, next.

Explore our dog brands:

c_brand_discovery (cat)
Brand (field_product_brand) (entityreference filter)
Turn mealtime into an adventure, with Adventuros range.