Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Your Pet, Our Passion.
Can Dogs Eat Lobster
Can Dogs Eat Mandarins?

Can Dogs Eat Mandarins?

2 min read

Mandarins are small, easy peel oranges that are sweeter than their larger relatives but still benefit from being packed full of vitamin C. They’re great as additions to lunch boxes and as quick and easy healthy snacks, but can our dogs eat mandarins as a treat and see some of the same benefits we do?

Keep reading to find out all you need to know about dogs and these little oranges.

Can dogs eat mandarins?

The occasional mandarin segment here and there as a treat is unlikely to harm your four-legged friend. However, whilst dogs can eat mandarin in moderation, there are more suitable treats for dogs that your four-legged friend will probably prefer.

Are mandarins good for dogs?

Mandarins do benefit from having high levels of vitamins C and A, as well as other minerals, but your dog will get adequate amounts of these nutrients from their complete and balanced diet, so there is no need to supplement their food with mandarins.

Although the flesh of mandarins is not toxic, dog’s digestive systems are not designed to ingest citrus fruits, partly due to their high acidity, so eating a large amount of them could cause stomach upset. Mandarins also have a high sugar level so you should always avoid giving them to diabetic dogs.

Mandarin peel can also cause gastrointestinal upset as it’s hard for the canine digestive system to break it down. This could lead to issues such as dog vomiting and diarrhoea. The peel and pith also contain the essential oils limonene and linalool which are toxic to dogs.

How to feed mandarin to your dog

Many dogs don’t actually like the taste of citrus fruits, so don’t be surprised if your pup has absolutely no interest in trying a segment. If you’d like to try offering your dog some, first make sure you peel the fruit and remove the seeds (seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide) and only offer them a small segment to see if they like it.

If your dog doesn’t seem to like mandarin, you could try offering them other non-citrus fruits such as apples or bananas or better yet, why not stick to some tasty dog-friendly treats instead? Or simply read more from our handy guide on fruits dogs can eat.

Just remember that when feeding your dog treats, always follow the rule of 10% and make sure that only 10% of their daily calorie intake comes from treats, with the other 90% from their complete and balanced diet.

Now you know the answer to ‘can dogs eat mandarins’! Want to find out about other foods your canine can and can’t eat? Learn if dogs can eat mango, next.

Explore our dog brands:

c_brand_discovery (cat)
Brand (field_product_brand) (entityreference filter)
Turn mealtime into an adventure, with Adventuros range.