It may surprise you to learn that edamame beans are actually just immature soy beans. Typically served still in the pod, edamame beans may also be shelled and added to dishes such as stir fries, or many people enjoy them simply as a delicious side, drizzled in flavourings like soy sauce or sea salt.
Aside from being a tasty vegetable, edamame is also rather good for us humans which may have led you to wonder ’can dogs eat edamame?’ and ‘can they benefit from having them added to their diet too?’ Keep reading to find out all you need to know.
Can dogs eat edamame?
Yes, plain edamame beans are non-toxic for most dogs and are fine in small amounts. They can eat them raw, steamed, cooked or frozen. However, dogs with an allergy to soya should never be fed edamame beans.
Is edamame good for dogs?
Edamame beans do contain omega-3, protein, fibre, calcium and vitamin C, but these are all things your dog will get from their complete and balanced diet, so there’s no need to supplement their diet with them.
Always stay away from edamame beans with added seasonings, such as sea salt and soy sauce as these aren’t good for dogs.
How to feed edamame to your dog
When feeding your dog edamame as a treat, firstly remove the pod as this can be very tough to chew and may be difficult for your dog to digest. For smaller dogs, the pod can also pose a choking hazard or even cause an internal blockage.
Only offer a small amount as edamame is rather high in fibre, so eating too many could cause signs of stomach upset such as diarrhoea, constipation and gas. Stick to plain, fresh edamame beans and avoid processed ones as these tend to have added salt and other additives.
When feeding your dog treats, always remember to follow the 10% rule and ensure that no more than 10% of their daily calorie intake comes from treats, with the other 90% coming from their complete, balanced diet.